Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Sick and tired.

Sick and tired. Sick and tired. Sick and tired.

I'm sick and I'm tired, and I don't mean that in any English metaphorical way. Yesterday morning I woke up to a throat that had been assaulted by sandpaper throughout the night (this time purely metaphorical). I got up and got a glass of orange juice. It was off.

I could live with that. It was just orange juice after all, and it didn't really pain me to not have a glass of juice in the morning. The rest of the day followed as per usual: 7:30 pick up, making roller coasters with year 8s, trying to watch some video lectures, catching up with Rutger (who got in a motorbike accident on Saturday) and so on.

Whatever ailment/affliction/infection/sickness/illness/virus/disease/epidemic I had kicked in around lunchtime. Cue drowsiness, nausea and grogginess. Cue unprecedented desire to go home (that is Sydney) and sleep knowing that someone would be watching out for me.

I don't know if the hippie-ness of Ubud has gotten to me, but for some reason I decided that I would let this illness pass naturally, without any pharmaceutical products like panadol or ibuprofen etc...

If only I could reverse that decision now.

I woke up this morning at 4 in the morning...

http://www.ted.com/talks/rives_on_4_a_m.html (Watch this if you like poetry slam and generally pretty funny things).

Albeit only for a little while, but it was the first poor nights sleep I have had in Bali. You know those days where you wake up and your whole body doesn't even feel like it's yours? Where it feels like your body is set in aeroplane jelly and every movement is laboured and unrealistically slow? That was this morning. And the pain in my head upon sitting up was more than intense. As I write this blog right now, there is still a dull thud in my head that leaves me feeling groggy.

Needless to say, I didn't go into school today, instead sleeping and lying down for all but 5 hours of the day.
I diagnosed myself this morning with the flu. A strain yet unknown to me, but one that I have overheard induces body ache and vomiting.

Possibly the worst flu I have ever had in memory.

Or maybe just the first one I have had without the care and attention of my mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment