Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Rain and Liberation

For the past three days, Bali has been unpredictable weather-wise. In the morning, the sky will be so clear that you can see the volcanoes in the distance, but storms have been arriving in the afternoons, bringing lightning, thunder, and heavy rain - resulting in roads and school footpaths flooding.

Rain tends to dampen my mood. I've never liked getting little droplets of water on me and being half wet. It was always nothing or everything for me. And yet, the rain that has fallen on Bali in the past three days has been almost majestic - A real showing of the power of nature.

Yesterday I had to supervise some kids in a mud pit. Needless to say, I ended up with mud stains on my clothes and skin (hope it washes out).

Today I decided to embrace the rain. I stood in the middle of the oval and opened my arms and welcomed the heavy drops of water falling onto my face and soaking my clothes. I ran and cartwheeled and played football and frisbee (Wednesday afternoon fun times), sliding around barefoot. By the end of it I was soaked through and through and felt completely liberated from whatever apprehensions I had of rain beforehand. I felt like I could be Gene Kelly if I had an umbrella in hand.

Every time I do something that I normally wouldn't do, I feel more and more liberated and more and more adventurous.

In other news, I'm taking a drama/improv/public-speaking class for a few lessons in about two weeks. Any tips/suggestions/advice?

Cheers,

M

No comments:

Post a Comment