Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother's Day



**So I thought I would know what to write when I opened this page... But now I realise that whatever words I had in mind aren't really enough to convey my gratitude and sentiment regarding my mum.

My mum is a battler. She is my hero. I remember being in preschool and going to Wonderland before it closed down. I watched as my mum sat on the huge Viking boat that went upside down and spun around and thought that she was so strong and amazing to be able to do that. As I grow older, I realise more and more that she isn't as flawless or as strong as I thought she was when I was younger, but these flaws and weaknesses make me appreciate her even more. They tell me that she is a person too, and not just someone who cooks, works and cleans. It makes me glad that she can trust me enough to share her bad days with me, share jokes with me and tell me that she misses me. I salute my mum for everything she has done for me, my sister, and my family. I can guarantee that she has been more than one person can be expected to be. But more than that, I love my mum for being the person that she is. Loving, leading and serving.

I know that I've made my mum shed tears... hopefully more of joy than sadness. I know that I haven't made things easy for her in the past few years, but I hope that I can give back the love and care that she gave to me since the day I was born.

And now, as I spend my first Mother's Day away from my mother, I realise how much I miss her. As I spent a few days two weeks ago sick with the flu, the only thing I could think of was the fact that I missed my mum and wished she was by my bed, caring for me. At that point I thought of all the times she had done exactly that, and I had been comforted when I was in pain.



I wish I could give my mum flowers today, I wish I could have made her breakfast and made her tea. I wish I could have cooked or bought dinner for this beautiful, under-appreciated woman who has raised me every day, to this day. But all that I can do is wish.

It's not fair that only one day out of three hundred and sixty five is spent in appreciation of the one person who spends three hundred and sixty five days concerned about you and caring for you - no matter how old you are. We really should try to be thankful, loving and gracious to our mothers more often.

Behind every great person is a great mother. Happy mother's day.

**This was meant to be posted yesterday, but due to my current internet situation, I had to settle for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment