Saturday, April 13, 2013

Koala Lumpy

YO

So today was an interesting day, after a long night last night at Marina Bay with some lovely people, I woke up, missed the free breakfast and decided to visit Chinatown to find an anklet (to get one from every country).



Proceed to get lost in the hardest place to get lost.

Today was a scorcher, solid 40 degree heat with humidity and little cloud cover, add to that the fact that I had a 10kg pack on my back. Hmm.
I decided that I should try some local specialties so I opted for a stall between a Pork Offal restaurant and a beef offal restaurant. In hindsight, I probably should have picked a place that looked a bit cleaner. I ordered the Char Kway Teow and was pretty surprised to find a plate of brown fatty mush. Nevertheless I still ate it (I skipped breakfast remember). In hindsight that was also a bad idea. Immediately afterwards I started getting stomach cramps (related? who knows).

Anyway, cramping up, I trekked a solid distance to find some nice markets in Chinatown with a guy called Brian. Found some stuff, and both harassed and  was in turn harassed by some vendors. By this time, I was sweating like a fountain and like the hypochondriac I am, considering whether I was suffering from dehydration (I probably wasn't). At this point, the highlight of my day: A pineapple quarter for 80 cents. Wow. It was the most amazing fruit I have ever had. The sweet juices, the course texture, I mean, this was the best pineapple I have ever eaten. I had like 3.

Ended up spending overtime at Chinatown, meaning I had to run back to the hotel to get my little suitcase and get a cab to the airport pronto. No worries. I get to the airport with SG$5 left and proceed to check in. All fine. Next, get through the glass doors to the security screening. Nooooooope. A guy checks my ticket and weighs my luggage (an unprecedented case in my experience so far). And he says I'm 8kgs over the weight limit (which I was) and gives me a $160 fine. Awesome.

Oh and I found out on the plane that I lost my bracelet. Great.

So that was my day ruined...

From there it only gets better I guess. I'm in Kuala Lumpur right now, in Malaysia, I haven't planned anything for tomorrow as of yet. KL is a lot scarier than Singapore... the people look dodgier (no racism intended).

I may be $160 poorer, but I'm still alive (at the time of writing at least) and that's something to be thankful for.

Till later, Adios

PS: Check out some photos I took at Marina Bay and on the Singapore Flier:




No comments:

Post a Comment