Monday, July 29, 2013

There is no guarantee

Nothing is static. A week ago my plan was to go to Europe via Sri Lanka, but circumstances have changed and I'll be heading to South Africa via two weeks in India - or at least I think that's what will happen.

For me India embodies a place of the complete unknown. A place people speak of in two extremes: One friend told of how it is the best place that she's travelled to and that the people were the most generous and beautiful people she met, while others have told me of cut-throat bandits and people throwing faeces at you because you refuse their offer to carry your your bags. Despite the differences, there is one thing that they agree on: India is intense. India is intense like the way Koreans eat chillies dipped in chilli sauce.

I find myself doubting whether I'm ready to plunge into this unknown and into what will be a complete sensory assault. I feel pretty apprehensive, but also excited by the idea of lingering scent of spices, vibrant colours of cloths and the background racket of tuk tuks, hawkers and engines. Am I imagining an India like that of Bollywood films and The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel? I don't know, but I guess I'll see for myself soon enough.

If things work out, I will get to stay in Delhi with a Christian missionary and be able to experience the ministry in India. Hopefully I'll also be able to get in touch with an NGO there too who would readily accept volunteers to link up with my own NGO project.

In South Africa, I'll be in a place called Greyton, 2 hours from Cape Town. I'm going to be working with Greyton Transition Town on some conservation projects and grass roots campaigns. I'll also be working with them to establish a link so that I can hopefully send more volunteers over to help out with the awesome things they're doing in Greyton. Super excited and will share more insights with you guys while I'm there.


No comments:

Post a Comment