Thursday, August 8, 2013

Singapore and the Quasi Nationalist

Today, the 8th of August 2013 marks Singapore's 48th birthday and the national holiday to celebrate it's independence from the British Empire and Malaysia. In 1963, Singapore announced independence from the UK and joined the new federation of Malaysia. The two years that followed were filled with clashes between Singapore and Malaysia on core values of meritocracy and equality, with the Malaysians insisting on benefits for ethnic Malays. In 1965, the Malaysian Parliament unanimously voted to boot Singapore out of Malaysia. And so it was that this tiny island nation was formed.

One of the things that I've noticed while I've been here is that for a country so young, those who live here exercise a lot of patriotism and nationalism - many apartment blocks (literally stacks of blocks) are adorned with the national flag of Singapore and red and white - the nation's colours. Perhaps it is just because it is simply a different culture and I'm not used to how people show themselves as "proud Singaporeans" as I am to people representing "proud Aussies" on Australia Day.

As I walk around today, over 75% were wearing their national colours. It could just be me, but there's something inherently intimidating about masses of people in red. Red - the colour of blood, the colour of change and revolution? 

I guess it's the same as us on Australia Day with our face paint, hats and caps.

Perhaps it's the different culture, but I can't help but feel that ultra-patriotism is somewhat sinister (George Orwell agrees. See The Sporting Spirit). The idea that people would do anything for their country and government without hesitation. That's the kind of vibe I get from many Singaporeans, and it is a bit reminiscent of Orwell's 1984 and the idea of people being brainwashed by Big Brother.

But the fact is that Singapore is a democracy like Australia, so that raises a question.

What is democracy?

I guess I'm rambling here. Somehow writing this has blurred the lines between democracies and authoritarian regimes a little. Technically both could be extremely similar to another depending on how the government plays on people and influences their love of the country.

Don't get me wrong, I love Australia and think that some degree of patriotism is obviously required by everyone - especially on the sporting ground, but when your patriotism turns into nationalism and jingoism, that's where questions start to come up, and simple love for your country turns into ethnic hate and exclusion.

I have no idea what I just wrote about. Perhaps the experience of seeing a national celebration outside of Australia has shown me what it is objectively. Maybe I'm just incredibly racist and actually being nationalistic myself about Australian patriotism by thinking this.

Anyway, I'm sure that a lot of you people will rip me apart to shreds and I actually welcome this considering that I don't quite understand what I just wrote.

Regardless. Happy Birthday Singapore!

No comments:

Post a Comment