Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Happy 44th Big Man

When I was baptized following my 17th birthday, my mum and dad presented me with a verse from the bible - a motto to live by. That verse was Romans 1:16 that says:

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.

There are times when it is hard to talk to my dad. There are times when I feel like the things he tells me I should do are like a burden to me. But in the end I know that these things make me a better person and I am thankful for the kind of dad that I have.

I am thankful for the never give up spirit he has endowed on me.

I am thankful for the constant ways he opens and expands my sphere of comfort.

I am thankful for the way he always has improvement on his mind.

And most of all I am thankful for the way he has brought me up the past 18 and a half years.

I love the dad that I have for who he is - loving, spontaneous and always improving. 


Last year, my dad took me skydiving as a graduation present. He told me that he wanted something that I wouldn't forget... and it's definitely something that I won't. I remember so vividly putting on a jumpsuit and backpack, being excited and seeing my dad's face glance nervously at his tandem instructor who looked like he was falling asleep. I remember getting onto the plane and giving my dad a hi five, losing the sense of comfort as we left ground and made our way up to the skies, and I remember the sheer terror as those in front of us leaped off the plane and we were the only two left. The knowing look and wink as I sat at the sill of the plane door before I fell and my terror turned into elation as I fell through the sky and accepted that I would either die in that moment or live to tell the tale. 

I remember reaching the ground and running straight to where my dad landed 20 seconds later, overjoyed at the fact that we had done something so incredible (and not died). 

I also remember joking about driving the opposite way to Newcastle and then my dad spontaneously deciding to turn left instead of right and decide drive to Newcastle which ended up in us having one of the best times as a family that we have had in a while. 

I remember thinking that my dad knew how to give presents. 

Today, the 25th of June, is his birthday. And I never know what to give him as a present. But today I want to share some wise words from the bible with him. 

The chapter 1 Corinthians 13 is often quoted at weddings because it is about love. I hope that my dad, as a loving father, strives and continues to be each and every thing that the bible says love is. 


If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

My dad is patient, my dad is kind. He does not envy, he does not boast, he is not proud. 
He does not dishonor others, he is not self-seeking, he is not easily angered, he keeps no record of wrongs. 
My dad does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
He always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

1 Corinthians 13:1-7


No comments:

Post a Comment